Following the feedback given by our first players, we made some clarifications in the game rules:
- The goal is to collect 4 cards of the same color to form a « lab ». The first player who forms 3 labs wins.
- Each player receives 6 cards. The deck is put at the center of the table and the first card is removed and placed face-up to start the discard pile.
- At the beginning of a turn, the player chooses either to take a card from the deck or to take the first card of the discard pile. At the end of the turn, the current player can only keep 6 cards in his hand, the rest must be discarded.
- Some cards have more than one color, and can contribute to a lab of either color.
- The ENROLLMENT card permits a player to take any scientist from the discard pile. The ENROLLMENT card is then put under the discard pile and can’t be picked up afterwards.
- The PRESTIGE card permits a player to steal 2 scientists from an opponent’s lab (the opponent’s lab is destroyed and the remains return to the opponent’s hand). The PRESTIGE card is then put under the discard pile and can’t be picked up afterwards.
- The CLONE card allows a player to make an exact copy of a scientist that is already in the player’s hand. The CLONE card is placed alongside the copied scientist when forming the lab, and can’t be separated from her until the end of the game. A scientist can only be cloned once.
- If there are no more cards in the deck at the start of a player’s turn, that player loses the cards in his hand and is eliminated from the game. The player’s cards and labs are shuffled with the discard pile to form a new deck. The first card of the deck becomes the new discard pile.
As some of you have noticed, the card colors represents roughly the domain(s) of expertise of the scientist.
- Orange: engineering, physics, astronomy.
- Green: ecology, earth sciences.
- Yellow : medicine, biology.
- Mauve : maths, computer science.
- Fuchsia: psychology, social sciences.
We encourage you to make your own house rules. For example, with young children we removed the Prestige cards because the kids didn’t like when a lab was destroyed.